In April 2007, the members voted to change the name to the Coolum Residents Association.
For the past eighty plus years, apart from a hiatus from 1969 to 1972, the Association has been active in the development and progress of the Coolum Beach area of the Maroochy Shire. First, as Coolum Progress Association affiliated with the Cane Grower's Association and since 1932, when the members formally established the Coolum Beach Progress and Ratepayers' Association, this organisation has played an active, albeit low key, involvement in the progress of our community.
If one examines the major forward steps made in Coolum, one will find, in nearly every instance, that the Progress and Ratepayers Association played a most significant role, even though they did not loudly beat the publicity drums. The Association was involved and responsible for a multiplicity of projects including shelter sheds, Coolum Civic Centre, street lighting, police station, high school, youth centre and many many more endeavours. "An Island Surrounded by Land - The history of an earlier Coolum" by Frances and John Windolf, records much of the Association's involvement.
Notable in the leadership of the Association from the 1960s through to the 1990s were Stan Carlile and Cliff Whiteoak.
During the 'noughties' the Association was the key community group involved in the development of the Coolum Cliff Boardwalk.
A submission to the 2007 Coolum Lions Australia Day awards by the late Ken Higgins highlighted some of the accomplishments of the Association. See the Documents page for a copy of Ken's submission.